Tuesday 22 March 2011

The Fighter

The most recent film I went to see was The Fighter starring Mark Wahlberg - who is known for his action roles in Shooter and Four Brothers, Christian Bale - who is known for his action roles in Batman Begins and Terminator: Salvation and Amy Adams - who is known for her ditzy role in Enchanted. It is a 2010 biographical sports / drama film directed by David O. Russell. The film centers on the life of professional boxer "Irish" Micky Ward (Wahlberg) and his older half-brother and ex-boxer, Dicky Eklund (Bale) who struggles with his addiction to drugs.  It has been nominated for seven Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor (Bale) and Best Supporting Actress.

This has been one of the best films I have seen in a while and this is down to the superb cast and the great storyline. Bale really impressed me as he takes on the role as the real life 'Dicky' perfectly. I have seen him in other films where he plays the usual, macho lead in the film but in this film he became the real life 'Dicky'. On screen, he is very uneasy from the drugs and he is entertaining from his sheer ignorance as to what his life now is. You can see that he truly loves his little brother and wants him to do his best but he ends up just dragging him down. Wahlberg has a great role too, he's not just a nice bit of eye candy but he plays the role of the shy, push-over little borther perfectly. It's not until he meets his love interest Adams that he begins to fight for his career. Adams was the actress the impressed me the most from this film and this was because I had seen her play an easier role of the spoilt younger sister in The Wedding Date. However, in The Fighter she is more gritty and has a lot more strength to her. The final few scenes where the final match occurs it really sets your heart beating! I even cheered in the cinema to the result I have always enjoyed boxing as a sport and I like how a story was put with this sport. It is a very exciting film that has quite a lot of humourous parts in it too. I cannot recommend it enough!



I give The Fighter 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment